PinoPino The Interstellar Kewpie

Tinplate6

Ok, this one is a tough fit here in the plastic spaceman category, however, it is a "space-person", and vintage, so by association, it's legit. Those who know me, know I'm all about anything "alien".

Now, up front, I'm tough enough to talk about a decidedly cutsie toy; so the rest of you just be quiet!  :dirtdog:

I have bought one of these strange space creatures known as a PinoPino; the toy line was created by Popy, makers of the great Japanese diecast figures from the 70's, that command such high prices these days.

I have also noticed Alphadromer Chilli, uses one as his avatar.  :thumbs:

I have seen them pop up on eBay from time to time, but most are in fair, to bad condition. As I mentioned in the title, they have this wistful expression, reminiscent of the old Kewpie dolls of the 20's & 30's.

I was able to find one of these toys in excellent condition, with the original box, and inserts. The box measures 7.5 by 3 inches, and is embossed foil, pretty impressive. It shows the alien from all sides and what I'm assuming is a brief storyline about them on the back of the box in Japanese. The only English on the box is the statement, "Happy friends come out all the way beyond the galaxy." 

Caveat; keep in mind that tough guy statement at the beginning.  :blush:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

For anyone familiar with the Japanese culture, they are all about the concept of kawaii, or cuteness...just look at the Hello Kitty empire! They are also alien crazy. I'm guessing that these are from the 1980's, but I never remember them, so I assume they weren't as popular over here, but they were sold in France, which is where I picked mine up from; which, by the way, is a female. :eeek:  Hey, you take what you can get, right?

image.jpeg

The figure stands roughly 6 inches tall, including the antenna. They have vinyl heads, with soft stuffed bodies, in silvered cloth space suits, that have suction cups for hands and feet, so they can...well, stick around. Two types were available; the only way to tell them apart (assuming you needed to), is by the small starburst signet on the chest (blue for the boy, and pink for the girl...duh!).

Now, based on the insert, they supposedly came with helmets and breathing packs, but I have never seen them, perhaps they were optional accessories.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

There was even a space craft that you could buy to display them in.

image.jpeg

The foldout also shows the various types of creatures (Smurf-like) and their space pets.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There were also smaller plastic carded versions, with the helmets, and keychains...probably more than you wanted to know. 

$_57.JPG

Anyway, the creature is now in the aliens room, and someday, I hope to add the boy to the collection as well.

It's a very manly toy...very manly!!  :biggrin:  :pigsfly:

OK, I'm taking back that thing I said about your collecting making things cool...

Just kidding! :biggrin:

...its an interesting little alien and perfect for your alien room Brady; looking forward to seeing it next month!

Ervino, actually, Topo Gigio was very popular in America, in the 1960's, I believe; he (it?) often appeared on the Ed Sullivan show. I remember seeing it when I was a kid, quite an amazing bit of puppetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=garNxavx8gY

Now I'm going to have a bad imitation of Sullivan introducing "Topo Gigio" in my head all day long...  I know you all hear his voice too.   Don't deny it.

Tinplate6 - I dig it!  If I were to come across one, I would have to mak a spot in the cabinet.

It seems like it would be the natural companion for the Irwin Man (boy) From Mars.

Thanks Gil! It is an unusual space alien toy, and very, very, Japanese in style. And, who knows, perhaps, as Ervino pointed out, it may indeed have been the inspiration for those annoying Teletubbies.

19 hours ago, Martian Gil said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=garNxavx8gY

Now I'm going to have a bad imitation of Sullivan introducing "Topo Gigio" in my head all day long...  I know you all hear his voice too.   Don't deny it.

Fantastic video!!! An incredible piece of Italian stereotypes...:biggrin:   

I wasn't aware of Topo Gigio's international fame. For sure it was a strong point in the Italian children TV of that age. Sigh, so many memories... :blush:

Anyway, the T.G. voice in the video above is the same of the Italian TV "performances" of the same years, namely that of Peppino Mazzullo ( https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppino_Mazzullo ).

Oh, well: at last now I finally have an excuse to exhibit my T.G. Astronauta figure together with the others spacemen of my collection! :thumbs:  

Archived