Can a cohost become eventually superhost? And can both host and cohost be simultaneously superhost?

Alberto278
Level 2
Venice, Italy

Can a cohost become eventually superhost? And can both host and cohost be simultaneously superhost?

I have a few simple questions:

1)Can a cohost become eventually superhost (of course if he/she meets the criteria listed here https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/829/how-do-i-become-a-superhost)? What I read here https://www.airbnb.co.in/help/article/1550/how-do-ratings-and-reviews-work-for-co-hosts is: 

"If a co-host is listed as the primary host of a reservation, that’s who guests will communicate with and whose profile picture will be shown during the review process. However, any guest reviews and ratings will be left for the listing admin."

However here https://www.airbnb.co.in/help/article/1536/what-s-the-difference-between-a-primary-host-and-a-co-hos... I read:

"Primary host: he main point of contact for guests before, during, and after their reservation, who's shown as the host on the reservation. Guest ratings and reviews will appear on the primary host’s profile, and will affect their Superhost status."

Since in my apartment profile I have a button that says "make your cohost a primary host", it looks like the two pages above say samething different. First that all the ratings are for the listing admin, then that the cohost can be superhost if he's a primary host. Any idea?

2) Can both host (me) and cohost become superhost if at the end of each assessment period we both  meet the criteria? This could be easily done by swithcing primary host every week for example.

3) I called airbnb yesterday and they that the evaluation period went down from 1 year to 3 months, but its still not updated on the website. Anyone heard of it?

Thanks
Cheers

Alberto

3 Replies 3
Tiffany131
Level 1
Saint Augustine, FL

I'm wondering the same thing. The person who owns and furnishes the aparment lives across the country and is hardly ever here. I am the co-host who lives down the street and does everything to keep it going. I am the one they communicate with during their stay and accomodates them if they need anything. I also do all the cleaning (for a fee), buy all my own cleaning products, buy all the amenities out of my own pocket (coffee, paper products, shampoo, body wash, hand soap, dish soap, etc), wash all the linens using my own washer and dryer and laundry supplies (it's also a second story apt so I have to lug them up and down the stairs each time, along with my cleaning supplies), and take care of the small yard and walkway leading to the apt stairs. I've also supplied some of my own sheets, bath towels, beach towels, beach blanket, and a large frying pan and pot with lids...since there is not enough of these things available in good condition -or- I just don't have enough for a same day turnover with no time to wash everything. All that being said, I think I'm doing a really good job and deserve superhost status! The good reviews that are left are mostly speaking about the things that I have done, yet my profile page has no ratings or reviews at all. Of course I want her listing to have the good ratings and reviews as well...that's why I work so hard to make it as perfect as possible and keeps us booked pretty solid. I just think when the reviews are made, there should be an additional section to rate the co-host that will show up in the co-hosts personal profile.

Riadh1
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

Hello Tiffany and Alberto, 

I would so love an answer to this question as well. I set up and staged my landlady's home for her in Cambridge in order to prepare for Airbnb. 

We currently let out 3 rooms in the home and I have secured a longer term tenant for her as well who was previoulsy a guest. I guess we made an impression! 🙂

I do 100% of the work, have earned her a Superhost status (among other perks, Superhosts also get £100 yearly to spend on Airbnb) and we agree I would get cleaning fees + 15% and cleaning products used for rooms such as laundry detergent for Airbnb linens etc. would be reimbursed by her. 

It seems relatively fair for the most part. She supplies the house, it helps cover her mortgage and then some, and I make a little extra money and meet a lot of lovely people. 

I should however be able to share the Superhost designation. I'm not entirely sure why Airbnb cannot make it so a Homeowner AND cohost can share the Superhost badge.

The one and ONLY poor review we have ever had was when the homeowners were left on their own to flip a room for a guest - so there is that...

Oddly, the homeowner was able to have this review removed. Which I'm not entirely sure I agree with, but that's where we are at. 

Please keep in touch, and hope we get an answer to these questions. 

I would love to ask Airbnb support, but to be honest they offer very scripted answers, and no solutions. Sadly. 

Good luck to you both!

Riadh

Riadh
Morna5
Level 2
Cardwell, Australia

@Riadh1   I agree, this doesn’t seem fair. I think my co host should share the super host status too because she does the work at the moment. She is paid by the hour plus expenses and I buy everything.