B & F [drink]

autnagrag

américain, comme disent les français
In Money, by Martin Amis, c. 1981, the character John Self has become nauseated in an aircraft over the Atlantic. "Three bolted B & Fs on a scoured stomach." Google is not helping me. Who can tell me what beverage, presumably alcoholic, is intended by "B & F" perhaps taking the 1981-ish context into account?

• Because I read the book, I know the character is more fond of unalloyed spirits, especially whisky. I appreciate the suggestion, though. I was thinking of bourbon or Benedictine for the B, not at all sure I'm on the right track, but Fanto seems too sweet for the F.

It's obviously a nod to G&T (gin and tonic).

I don't remember whether it's ever explained in the novel, or we're just left to wonder. I always thought it was a play on BF (bloody fool), which John Self certainly was.

Three bolted B & Fs on a scoured stomach.
    I suspect that "B & F" refers to a brand name: some brand of alcoholic beverage. I am not familiar with the many brand names of all the alcoholic beverages (whiskies, bourbons, beers, vodkas, ryes, scotches, etc.) that are commonly drunk, but "B&F" sounds like the brand name for one of them. Black & Finch? Bradley & Fletcher?

Or it could mean "whiskey":

B&F Whiskey Society

This may be relevant:

But there are authors who chose to be creative in the field of brand dropping. British author Martin Amis has used fictional brands in his novel Money: A Suicide Note. Money tells the story of, and is narrated by, John Self, a successful director of commercials who is invited to New York by a film producer, in order to shoot his first film. The novel includes several made-up brand names – for restaurants (Burger Den, Burger Hutch, Burger Shack, Pizza Pit, Furter Hut, Doner Den) and cars (Farragoes, Boomerangs, Fiascos).​

Or it could mean "whiskey":
    J&B is a fairly well-known brand of scotch whisky so it could be an invented name based on this brand.
    1692277018929.png

Excellent! I should have been tipped off by the names of the fast-food restaurants and models of cars. No wonder people I asked who haven't read the book, some of whom in my circle are a bit swollen with what they take to be their thoroughgoing knowledge of bar drinks all over the world, drew a blank. He made it up. (He might have also made up the name of a Champagne producer or two.)

It makes me want to go into a bar, a thing I rarely do, and order "B & F, up, shaken not stirred, with only one cocktail onion, please."

Last edited:
    Back