Gefallen Ihnen die Tische? / Gefällt Ihnen der Tisch? (verb agreement)

kiddo73

Hello,
I have a question, which you may fins stupid but I would be really thankful if you answered.
I happened to hear these two sentences in a class.
1. Gefallen Ihnen die Tische?
2. Gefällt Ihnen der Tisch?
Most importantly, how do you translate this? And after that, why the verb agreement is like that? Why does the verb change based on the form of word "Tisch"? Why doesn't is simply refer to the "Ihnen"?
I don't know if I've made myself understood. Ask if there's anything unclear.
And thanks in advance!

• Tisch and Tische are the subjects of these sentences.

Gefallen Ihnen die Tische?
    means "are the tables pleasing to you?"
    Gefällt Ihnen der Tisch? means "is the table pleasing to you?"

That's how Germans say it. Of course if we want to produce a good English translation we would say do you like the table(s)?, and in the English version, table(s) is an object, but that's irrelevant to the grammar of the German sentences.

Last edited:
    Do you like the tables?
    Do you like the table?

In German the structure of the sentences with "gefallen" are different from English.

The person is always dative and the things what you like, are nominative.

Dein Auto gefällt mir. Mir = dative, dein Auto = nominative ► I like your car.

I hope, you understand my explanation. :)

Thanks! I just couldn't understand why "die Tische" and "der Tisch" are subject here. As you said, the structure of this verb is different from the English equivalent. (And can I ask is it just this verb, or there are also other verbs following the same rule in German?)
    Thanks for your answer!

You also use "schmecken" in the same way. It's also "like" in English, but you use it if you talk about things to eat or to drink.

I like beer. = Bier schmeckt mir.
    I don't like cucumbers. = Gurken schmecken mir nicht.

So, apparently, it's just something you learn over time and there's not something like a bunch of verbs which are treated the same way.
    Thanks for the examples! and everything!
    P.S.: Or are they just verbs meaning "like"?

Ther is the verb mögen (conjugated ich mag, du magst, er/sie/es mag, ...):
    Ich mag den Tisch.
    Ich mag die Tische.
    Ich mag Bier.

Back