pleine forme

cashew

France
Hi everyone,

Could you please help me translate "en plein forme"
For the context, Let's imagine someone is coming back from the doctor's and his friend asks him:
- so how did it go?
- perfect ! "je suis en pleine forme".

or else
- so how are you?
- "en pleine forme"

Would "fit as fiddle" be a good translation in your opinion ? :confused:

Thank you!

• I guess you're right but I was looking for something like a typical american idiom that would fit the context. That's why I suggested fit as a fiddle.
    Any other ideas? :p

What I like about fit as a fiddle is that it's really what I would call an idiom (mostly understood by natives) unlike perfectly healthy which is easily understandable by anyone.

Any synonyms for "fit as a fiddle"? :(

Would that fit the context (coming back from the doctor's)? I would hear it more in a conversation after a good meal or talking about a child whose mother always cooks good food... :eek:

"Fit as a fiddle" is better, but "fit as a butcher's dog" doesn't really have anything in particular to do with food - it just looks that way. Or I think so, anyway.

"in fine fettle", oui - au fait, j'étais sur le point de le suggérer quand j'ai remarqué
    votre message.
    En revanche, je n'ai jamais entendu "in good fettle"

Jean-Michel Carrère said:
    My dictionary also translates "en pleine forme" as "in the pink". What do you think of that one ?
    That's another good one. It may refer to the colour of
    the skin, though, and therefore only be good for a
    Caucasian...

There is, of course "in great shape" as well; "on good/great form" is slightly different (I can't remember if we've had that one) - you would use it for a sportsman to say he is playing particularly well, without implying anything about his fitness...

Back