Golden Cue

AzDave

Registered
The Golden Cue was a Phoenix 24/7 action spot back in the '60's. I believe the owner's name was 'Jack'. Understand he sold the business and later opened a new room in southwest Phoenix that was infested with Mexican gang violence. Heard that after being beat up one night, he closed the business and vowed to retire. Anyone know what happened to 'Jack' after that or if the story was true? I cannot remember his last name.

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AzDave said:
The Golden Cue was a Phoenix 24/7 action spot back in the '60's. I believe the owner's name was 'Jack'. Understand he sold the business and later opened a new room in southwest Phoenix that was infested with Mexican gang violence. Heard that after being beat up one night, he closed the business and vowed to retire. Anyone know what happened to 'Jack' after that or if the story was true? I cannot remember his last name.

I remember the Golden Cue was still there on Camelback in the early 80's. Mostly golf and some payball. I remember playing George The Greek some golf and one pocket. He was in failing health at that time and actually apologized for not being better action and lined me up a game with someone else. George was a very nice guy who was an action icon there for a long time. John Henderson

JLITALIEN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to shoot down there from time to time. You could always find a good game of golf if you wanted. It has been a while, so I'm not sure that they are still open. If I recall correctly the owner with in the last couple of years was named Jimmy; I remember because that's my name. There was also a guy that was always there, I think that he worked there but I can't be sure, in any case the only thing that I have ever seen him wear is an old pair of overalls.

Other than the young kids and bangers, it wasn't a bad place. Cheap table time, a billiards table, a couple of snooker tables, some Gold Crowns and open 24/7, everything a pool player could ask for!

-Jimmy

AzDave

Registered
CaptiveBred said:

Believe you've got the rooms confused. Golden 8 Ball was in shopping center where Costco Business now is (Indian School & Grand Ave), and Golden Cue was at SW corner of 19th Ave and Camelback. During the 60's and 70's, the Golden Cue was the action spot, not the other place.

Still wondering if anyone remembers Jack's last name and what happened to him. He really catered to players.

And about that rating system...it ruined bar play for players in AZ. You might check out the tropicana lanes website for some interesting stories...

http://www.tropicanabowlingalley.com/ And BTW, if you what a real treat, Sit back and play the Ronnie Allen tapes at that site...the dif between AZ and CA pool.

Last edited:

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
AzDave said:
Golden Cue was 19th Ave & Camelback. Owned in the 60's by Jack and Min Levine - their son worked in the room but is now living in CA. Jack sold to "Jimmy", a Lebanese who was going to school at ASU. Jimmy closed the room at 19th Ave & Camelback and moved it to another location as the "Golden Cue". My understanding is he has since closed it and retired. Jack and his wife were good people, watched out for me when I started hanging out there when I was around 14 or so (and wasn't afraid to call my Mom when needed), took me to Vegas when I was about 19, ran a good room.

AzDave

Registered
Jack Madden said:
Golden Cue was 19th Ave & Camelback. Owned in the 60's by Jack and Min Levine - their son worked in the room but is now living in CA. Jack sold to "Jimmy", a Lebanese who was going to school at ASU. Jimmy closed the room at 19th Ave & Camelback and moved it to another location as the "Golden Cue". My understanding is he has since closed it and retired. Jack and his wife were good people, watched out for me when I started hanging out there when I was around 14 or so (and wasn't afraid to call my Mom when needed), took me to Vegas when I was about 19, ran a good room.

Thank you for refreshing our memory. Jack did indeed know how to run a great room. Still remember he tiled under each table while carpeting the rest of the playing area. Seem to remember running into you one night at a bar on Camelback while running with Pucket where you offered a cue for sale. That was you?

CaptiveBred

C21H30O2
Silver Member
How many "Golden" rooms were there? :)

Thanks for the link to the Ronnie Allen tapes. I played them while practicing the other night. A couple did not completely play but most did. I'd be euphoric if more players published such works. I really enjoy stuff like that, thanks.

AzDave

Registered
CaptiveBred said:
How many "Golden" rooms were there? :)

Thanks for the link to the Ronnie Allen tapes. I played them while practicing the other night. A couple did not completely play but most did. I'd be euphoric if more players published such works. I really enjoy stuff like that, thanks.

You might want to replay the ones that bombed. Good entertaining information in each one. They all played on my computers.

BTW, did you play the 'Little Ritchie', Rags and Jimmy Moore video, and read the player stories? Some decent content there as well. Thinkin' I might just go to the next Tropicana reunion and host a glass or two to old friends no longer with us.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
JLITALIEN said:
I used to shoot down there from time to time. You could always find a good game of golf if you wanted. It has been a while, so I'm not sure that they are still open. If I recall correctly the owner with in the last couple of years was named Jimmy; I remember because that's my name. There was also a guy that was always there, I think that he worked there but I can't be sure, in any case the only thing that I have ever seen him wear is an old pair of overalls.

Other than the young kids and bangers, it wasn't a bad place. Cheap table time, a billiards table, a couple of snooker tables, some Gold Crowns and open 24/7, everything a pool player could ask for!

-Jimmy
Jimmy
Its been a long time since the Golden Cue was on 19th & Camelback. The guy wearing the old pair of overalls was probably Everett Taylor - he sort of lived there since he was homeless for awhile. Saw him about 5 years ago playing a guitar at the Glendale Glitters around Christmas. He looked good and was doing well. I played golf at 19th & Camelback way back when - did we ever play?

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
AzDave said:
Thank you for refreshing our memory. Jack did indeed know how to run a great room. Still remember he tiled under each table while carpeting the rest of the playing area. Seem to remember running into you one night at a bar on Camelback while running with Pucket where you offered a cue for sale. That was you?

I sold some of Jerry Franklin's early cues in Phoenix for awhile and played in a couple places on Camelback so it sure could have been.