Replacing Roof/Soffit/Fascia/Gutters-What Order?

Leo Shea

Nov 4, 2002, 11:42:30 AM11/4/02
My parents 22 year old home needs a new roof, and to have the soffit,
fascia, and gutters replaced.

What order should this be done in? How about gutter removal/soffit
replacement/fascia replacement first, then the roof, then new gutters?
Or should the gutters be put up before the new roof? Or should the
roof be done first?

Chïp

Nov 4, 2002, 3:46:55 PM11/4/02

"Leo Shea" <langle...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: My parents 22 year old home needs a new roof, and to have the soffit,

the fascia can be done when roof is done (naturally the gutters have to come
down b/4 fascia), reason being, depending on who framed the structure, some
ran their sheathing boards plumb with rafter tails then laid a straight edge
on decking, and ran fascia up to straight edge...others set the fascia
first, then decking, with decking nailed into top of fascia...others set
fascia first and overhung decking 1" over the fascia, nailing decking into
fascia...if the roof is done 1st and completed, it can create a problem
trying to replace fascia if the roof decking is nailed into fascia...i would
suggest using PT 2"x lumber for fascia, instead of the common 1"x, 2x wont
split apart like the 1x if the gutter people miss rafter tails if they use
the spike method...

the soffit after roof, then fascia covering, gutters last...the roofers
should put temp. nailers on the fascia boards (usually 2, 2x4's), one on top
of the other,then lean ladder against the double 2x's, this keeps ladder
from bending new drip edges & new shingles over, this after the new fascia
board is up, but b/4 any soffit or covering is up...

chip

Bruce

Nov 4, 2002, 5:55:58 PM11/4/02

It may depend on the construction techniques in your particular area.
In Houston we would follow the order you listed. Many of the fascia
boards here have a groove for the soffit to fit in so fascia and
soffits have to be installed together to make sure everything fits.

Once the fascia and soffits are installed, the roof, followed by the
gutters would be normal.

Nov 4, 2002, 8:02:30 PM11/4/02
On 4 Nov 2002 08:42:30 -0800, langle...@yahoo.com (Leo Shea) wrote:

Well, the one obvious thing is that gutters are last (now someone will
write in with an exception.....).

-v.