Infrared connection question on the Uwatec Smart Tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyclone3565

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am having a problem connecting my Uwatec Smart Tec to the IRDA
on my computer. I just got it and was able to connect on Wednesday without any problems but now it will not find it/connect. I am following all instructions exactly but it does not connect. The error message reads "No Uwatec computer connected. Any and all help would be greatly appreciate it.

Cyclone -- Grab a load full of patience and apply liberally.

Seriously, I got mine yesterday. Open the protection screen, turn it on, sit it about 3-6" from the infrared. Click on transfer. If it fails, do it again. If it fails, do it again. If it fails, do it again. If it fails, do it again.

Mine took about one full minute to "recognise" the connection. Make sure it stays on, because it goes to sleep quick.

Same here with my SmartCOM, I do exactly what UsryTregre said except I keep my computer quite close to the IR port though, only a few centimeters at most. I just keep clicking transfer until it works, usually doesn't take more than a 15-30 seconds.

1. Make sure the dive comp is turned on.
2. Make sure the irda is active (may have to unplug/replug)
3. Make sure the irda is lined up with, and within an inch of the ir window on the dive comp
4. Should have no problem

I am having a problem connecting my Uwatec Smart Tec to the IRDA
on my computer. I just got it and was able to connect on Wednesday without any problems but now it will not find it/connect. I am following all instructions exactly but it does not connect. The error message reads "No Uwatec computer connected. Any and all help would be greatly appreciate it.

Something may be blocking it. Some A/V software will prevent it from working. Try disabling your A/V software.

Also, although I've never tested it with the SmartTec, the SmartCom is sensitive to the data rate and won't reliably connect if it's much over 19,200. You can set this in the control panel or hardware manager (depends on the OS version).

Terry

Plug the IRDA directly into the computer, loose the cord. That was my problem the brand new cord was bad. I had the same exact problem it frustrated the hell out of me. By the way the IRDA is line of site it does not need to be touching or within an inch.

Plug the IRDA directly into the computer, loose the cord. That was my problem the brand new cord was bad. I had the same exact problem it frustrated the hell out of me. By the way the IRDA is line of site it does not need to be touching or within an inch.

No, but within an inch helps. More important is precise alignment... some IR dongles are more sensitive than others, and need the IR directly in line.

I used to this method with my SmartTec before I upgraded to the Galileo Sol, but the method works well on both computers. Be sure to take the scratch guard off the SmartTec, of course, so you don't block the signal. It's not an issue on the Galileo. Also be sure the dongle is plugged in and the system has had time to recognize it... THEN launch the software. Sometimes SmartTrak isn't as good as it should be at noticing that new hardware has been added.

Turn the SmartTec on it's side so the IR window is down, and put it on the edge of your finger. Bring it up to the IR dongle, and put the IR dongle on the other side of your finger, so the two are precisely in line, and about 1cm apart (more or less, depends on how thick your fingers are!). Make sure the dive computer is on, and click download in the SmartTrak software to initiate the connection. It should be able to find the computer and start downloading within a second, if not, try moving things slightly until it connects. If it takes more than 5 seconds, stop and start over from the top. Once you find the "sweet spot" for your computer and IR dongle, it should be quite easy to repeat every time.

Note: Once it connects, be very careful not to move the computer until it's done, or you'll break the connection and it will time out, requiring you to start over.

YMMV, but this method has worked well for me for 2 IR dive Computers, 2 IR dongles, and about 4 years of successful transfers.

I'll see if I can take a photo... it's not complicated, it's just hard to describe.

Photos, as promised:

UwatecIRDA_IMG_2296%20%28Small%29.JPG

UwatecIRDA_IMG_2297%20%28Small%29.JPG

Very easy to keep things stable and precisely in line with this method.

Same technique applies to the SmartTec (I no longer have mine), just flip the computer on it's side, since that's where the IR port is.

Ummmm . . . from an engineering standpoint, the effective range on an infrared is 3 to 4 feet (00 to 120cm). That's why people in meetings could send virtual business cards across the table. (and send viruses, which is why computers don't come with infrared built-in anymore.)

In an experiement, I connected at two feet away. As mentioned above, some iR are more touchy and directional then others. Think of a flashlight beam. Some are very narrow, some are broader.

Ummmm . . . from an engineering standpoint, the effective range on an infrared is 3 to 4 feet (00 to 120cm). That's why people in meetings could send virtual business cards across the table. (and send viruses, which is why computers don't come with infrared built-in anymore.)

In an experiement, I connected at two feet away. As mentioned above, some iR are more touchy and directional then others. Think of a flashlight beam. Some are very narrow, some are broader.

Exactly. This method eliminates any variables and is 100% effective... very useful when troubleshooting. Once everything is working, feel free to expand the range, but when you're having issues with connections, it's a useful technique to make sure positioning, aiming and excessive movement are not causes of the problems.

Back
Top Bottom