Cooksons Pub

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Bonesy

Just wanted to pick a few brains :?

I must have driven over the bridge at Cooksons thousands of times over the years and only last week noticed that the pub is actually called Cooksons Bridge and yet the bridge it sits on has an inscribed stone saying Gorsey Lane Bridge. Anyone know why they are not called the same name ?

No doubt Ken might have the answer :wink: :D

Keith
filsgreen

I think a previous manager went by the name of Cookson, Keith.
ALAMO2008

This pub on Gorsey Lane was called "The Tailors Arms" run after WW2 by Jim Cookson born Hinton Street Bootle and his wife Mrs Cookson nee Jackson along with their son young Jim Cookson.
Nobody called it The Tailors Arms it was always "COOKSONS"
He had a Pigeon Loft outback.
BOBHAMO

Peter Cookson born 1831 born in rufford was the publican in 1881 employed 12 men on the canal
on the other side of the bridge was a warf for canal boats to load and unload
jim was the landlord when i drank there then went to the con club by the town hall
a good footballer sure he was on evertons books
a great pub for darts and pigeons :D :D
so the cookson name goes back a long time
from 1900 peter his son run the pub and the generations to jim
had been the pub manager
bobhamo
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
Invicta

Al is right. Mr & Mrs Cookson and " Young Jim " ran Cooksons ( Tailors Arms )
My Mum,Molly, worked there for years, cleaning ( 365 days a year) and behind the bar on Saturday & Sunday Night in the " Singing Room " My Dad, Jimmy was the erstwhile MC on these nights and always closed the night with his rendition if " Now is the hour" Some great singers got in there on those nights, one local Betty Hill had a fabulous voice.
Young Jim was indeed on EFC books but never made the grade. He managed South Liverpool for a while where I occasionally trained with them. I later met him when he was Steward at the Con Club in Litherland, long after we had moved South. :D Ken
Bonesy

Many thanks for the replies fellas.

Bob, I remember the wharf going up in flames and Al I remember the pigeon loft it was massive for a 7 year old ha ha

Keith
Invicta

It was the Cork warehouse that burned, Cus, we used to play in there. K
ALAMO2008

There was always bits of cork floating on the cut outside.

I remember watching the Fire at the Cork Warehouse from the bridge, in the mid 60's

There were rumours, it was 2 of the school bullies from Warwick Bolam

But everyone too scared to tell.
Invicta

ALAMO2008 wrote:There was always bits of cork floating on the cut outside.

I remember watching the Fire at the Cork Warehouse from the bridge, in the mid 60's

There were rumours, it was 2 of the school bullies from Warwick Bolam

But everyone too scared to tell.
Not guilty ! K :D
ALAMO2008

Not sure in people are aware of Syd Websters MBE (Ex Fire Officer ) History booklet on Growing Up In Ford.

Price may have gone up as this was a few years ago.

Loads of Memories- Great Photo of Paddy and Horse Dolly from the Piggeries behind Cooksons where we used to play.

Often went out Saturday's on the Horse and Cart collecting Food Waste from peoples houses to empty in the Bins on cart to take back to make Pigswill.

When my Acne started- Mum said it was because I kept playing there.

Loved Dolly the Cart Horse and Rinty the Alsation Guard Dog - Never had a fear of Pigs, Horses or Dogs after Paddy's encouragement.
Invicta

A good read written by a good man. :D Ken
bernie johno

great thread enjoyed reading this :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
Invicta

There was the bar, a parlour, a snug and the singing room ( weekends only).
Regulars had "their seat " in the bar. The ale was Greenalls , not bad bitter but the mild was very popular with the older men. No lager or draught Guinness in the early days.
No food other than crisps and one of them bar top heated boxes which had 7 day old pies containing indeterminable meat. The air was always heavy with Woodbine smoke and there was always darts going on. A real pub. :D Ken
Bonesy

Brilliant Cus :D :D could almost smell the "woodies" reading your post.

Keith
Invicta

Stale beer and cigarette smoke smells we grew up . The nicotine brown walls and sticky floors . An exotic drink for the girls would be a Snowball served in a half pint glass, whisky was served neat in what we'd call shot glasses today and drank with your little finger raised.
Happy days, some would say but on reflection it affected our Family in a negative way. Ken
Invicta

When Dad died, all the old timers lined up on that bridge and doffed their caps when the hearse passed on the way to Thornton. :D Ken
dleyland

I’ve just found this, Jim Cookson was my great uncle, his wife Elizabeth “Lizzie” was my Grandfather’s sister. When I was a kid I spent a huge amount of time with them. They had a manky parrot called “polly”. Jim raced pigeons and as a kid I used to sit with him amongst the clocks. Fascinating thank you all for your contributions….
Bri

I’ve got some pictures of Mr& Mrs Cookson and some regulars taken in the singing room of the pub, I’ll try and put them up.
Bri

As promised some pics of Mr&Mrs Cookson and regular’s including Tommy Chadderton, Jimmy Pendleton ( my grandad), Syd Webster, Mr Brown and Mr Hill in cookies.

Invicta

I remember your Grandad, Bri.
Nice pictures, early / mid 60s I guess.
Cheers
Ken
Dan

Police cordon this morning. Someone was shot in the ankle, close by, last night.

Presented at the hospital on Friday 10.30pm, but is not cooperating with the police.