Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,127 times

Advertisements

My partner and I will be moving to Ouray next week, and I'm really just looking for some updated information on the area, as every other post about Ouray seems to be fairly old at this point. We'll have our lodging covered, so that's not an issue. This position popped up quickly, so our heads are still spinning and we're just trying to get our bearings. We've been there and have done our research so we know a fair amount about the city in so far as weather goes, but other than that there's just not a lot of information about actually living there. I guess I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking Maybe just some anecdotes or general info that you'll think we'll need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 08:02 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,695,452 times
It’s very pretty and can get overloaded with tourists in summer.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:51 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
I find that in a lot of small towns I get good local information from two sources. (1) Town clerk. Sometimes they can be overloaded with work, but if they aren't too busy they are a good way to find out what's going on around town. (2) Visitor Center or Chamber of Commerce. Usually the people working there have lots of local information and are quite willing to chat about anything you want to know.

We spend our summers in Buena Vista, which also gets very overloaded with tourists in the summer. It really helps to get tips from the locals about when best to patronize shopping, restaurants, etc. You might also look to see if Durango has a FB page; the one I use in BV is called "What's Happening in Buena Vista" and is a great place to share all sorts of information.

Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2021, 01:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,189 times
I'm not sure if we have any members from Ouray. We do have a couple of members from Ridgway who may chime in with some info.

Groceries can be a bit of a pain in Ouray. Both Ouray and Ridgway have small (nice) grocery stores. I'm not super familiar with the one in Ouray, but the one in Ridgway has noticeably inflated prices and drastically reduced selection compared to what you find at City Market (Kroger) in Montrose, so I'm sure it's similar in Ouray. But that's part of the "view tax" so to speak.

Check out the houses on Oak Street and Queen Street. Many of them are pretty cool and have been built around fallen boulders. Just walking around town provides a nice light workout due to topography.

LOTS of trails to hike. Your backyard trail will be the Ouray Perimeter Trail, which circumvents the town with a few jaunts up into the forest and into side canyons. It has many access points and connects to a variety of other trails that lead into the surrounding mountains.

Be bear safe with trash and also be mindful that Ouray is mountain lion country, especially if you have pets.

In summer, if you enjoy dining out, you may want to do that on weekdays. It's very busy in Ouray in summer. However, there is a nice variety of good places to eat. If you enjoy farmers markets, Ridgway will be your nearest one.

Your utilities might be pretty expensive, relatively, but I don't know where you're coming from.

And lastly, enjoy the heck out of that town! It's amazing.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,127 times
Thanks for the all info and suggestions! All utilities are covered for us, so luckily we don't have to worry about that. In so far as grocers, I've already set up accounts at city market, Safeway, and the health food store in Montrose lol. I'm definitely excited about the trails, I do a lot of running so that's one of the main draws for me. I'm sure we'll get caught up to speed on the town fairly quickly, just trying to get a snapshot of the town as this is the first time we've moved somewhere without having visited extensively.

Old 06-04-2021, 03:04 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
Ouray is beautiful it is the Switzerland of America/USA. My american friend visit it a weekend, year before Corona. Fabulous landscape. Then after I see Youtube to watch videos of Ouray and area. Still today I look up videos of Ouray once in a while to look and enjoy. You are so lucky to go live there, enjoy your new life there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5MQVU0kOEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzsSDTvAVq8

Old 06-04-2021, 03:57 AM

In text of link Ouray is nr 4.
https://theworldonmynecklace.com/bes...ountain-towns/

Found this https://www.grandparkco.com/tips-for...mountain-town/

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/towns/ouray/

Old 06-04-2021, 05:22 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
Ouray to Durango is one of the prettiest drives in the country along the Million dollar highway. Everyone should do that drive once.

Old 06-04-2021, 10:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7DjGlgAUiI&t=54s

Old 06-04-2021, 11:21 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Great video, some of the best scenery starts at 23:00 minutes and again at 54:00 minutes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado