Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 10:44 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,909,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0va4life View Post
The existing deck was built with the house ~15 years ago, so assuming the condition is acceptable, its build meets code.
Assuming works with horse shoes and hand grenades but not with city code inspectors, tax assessors and potential disasters with fly by night contractors not to mention you are dealing with 15 year old construction in GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 10:49 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Check your local laws. Everyone here is from different places.
This.

Here is Florida you cannot pour concrete without a permit that a licensed contractor has pulled.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:21 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This.

Here is Florida you cannot pour concrete without a permit that a licensed contractor has pulled.
Truth be known-
You can't even drive a nail without some kind of license in FL!

Old 03-11-2020, 12:37 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Wouldn't the permitting agency ask to see the license of the individual to be doing the work at the time of issuing the permit?

Old 03-11-2020, 12:51 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Wouldn't the permitting agency ask to see the license of the individual to be doing the work at the time of issuing the permit?
The scheme is for the owner (our intrepid OP) to get whatever permits/inspections are required in their own name ...
and then to run a scam by hiring people who might know more than he does to do the actual work involved.
It's NOT a new idea and it rarely, VERY rarely, works out well for anyone involved or the structure.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:00 PM

1,185 posts, read 751,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Truth be known-
You can't even drive a nail without some kind of license in FL!
Contrast that with TX where I can go out tomorrow and call myself a framing contractor and build new homes.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The scheme is for the owner (our intrepid OP) to get whatever permits/inspections are required in their own name ...
and then to run a scam by hiring people who might know more than he does to do the actual work involved.
It's NOT a new idea and it rarely, VERY rarely, works out well for anyone involved or the structure.

Oh, it usually works out real well with the contractor- he gets money, runs for the hills, no legal ramifications- can't be held accountable if disaster strikes. And since he has no license to begin with- there no license to suspend! Like he was going to ever get one- Hah!!!

Old 03-11-2020, 03:54 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,912,214 times
An unlicensed builder would be considered a handyman. In my state a handyman can't legally charge more than $500 for any project he does. He is only allowed to do small jobs because he isn't licensed and most likely not capable. If he had the knowledge to do the job correctly, he would go take the test and become licensed. So the unlicensed guy who you want to build you deck hasn't got the knowledge to pass a test. You want that guy working on ANYTHING? I have seen to many hatchet jobs handymen have turned out..
Trying to save money will likely get you in trouble down the road. When the problems come up, and the costs go crazy, your wife is going to have your a$$.... "I told you so...!" and you have to live with it....

Old 03-11-2020, 04:30 PM

1,185 posts, read 751,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT HIRING A SCAB. Your friends who are standing on the deck when it collapses will not appreciate the money you saved.
He’s not talking about a scab. That’s for union jobs. He’s talking about pulling a DIY permit, then hiring an unlicensed contractor to save money.

I say go for it. We’re all going to die from coronavirus anyway.

Last edited by El Chingaso; 03-11-2020 at 05:14 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
An unlicensed builder would be considered a handyman. In my state a handyman can't legally charge more than $500 for any project he does. He is only allowed to do small jobs because he isn't licensed and most likely not capable. If he had the knowledge to do the job correctly, he would go take the test and become licensed. So the unlicensed guy who you want to build you deck hasn't got the knowledge to pass a test. You want that guy working on ANYTHING? I have seen to many hatchet jobs handymen have turned out..
Trying to save money will likely get you in trouble down the road. When the problems come up, and the costs go crazy, your wife is going to have your a$$.... "I told you so...!" and you have to live with it....

GA- $2500
I think you over exaggerate... the test for the general construction "stuff" most could probably pass. It's the business test and law test that usually stumps these guys.

Then of course there's the general liability insurance (sole proprietors don't require worker's comp), and the surety bond that is required to keep license current. And there's a bit of "continuing education" classes/tests that are required for renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House