To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

Snap-On Boots

shotgunfatcat

Well someone asked about their socks and I went and looked. The boots caught my eye. I am looking at the -SUPER V8 STEEL TOE- boots. Does anybody else have them? They say they are good in the winter time, but does the steel get your feet cold? I know there are brands out there that use plastic, don't get me wrong, but the price of these boots are about what I would pay anyways, and if they are good, I would think about getting a pair.

As well as the usual, how are they holding up?

Thoughts, suggestions, comments?

Das Boots

rayzor32

2 guys at work have them no complaints from them, they are made in china though, I have no personal experience so I cant comment. I wear redwings they are steel toe and thinsulated so they aren't cold like cheap boots.

dr_clyde

I didn't have that specific model, but my snap on boots were a fairly disappointing. They only lasted a year, but I didn't treat them nice at all. The waterproofing didn't take at all, so they leaked like crazy, but that may have my fault. I don't know if I'd buy them again, but my danners have spoiled me. Unless my danners let me down, I doubt I'll change boot brands again.

Chadro

Anyone who buys boots because they say Snap-on them has some serious issues. Snap-On doesn't make them and even if they did, they're not in the boot business last I heard so they'd probably suck.

For the price they're asking for their logo you could have a real nice pair of Carolinas or Red Wings.

Hammer1963

Redback Boots are awesome. I've tried all the big names and have been a made in USA boot person as much as possible, but these Australian made boots are the best so far. Yes they are still made in Australia. Add some Pinnacle inserts and concrete problems are thing of the past. These stand up to the rigors of working in a body shop. I bought my first pair 3 years ago and most of the Techs have switched to them. Try your Matco tool dealer for them, and BTW, my Snap-on dealer wears them after giving up on his Snap-on branded boots

Patrick Boyle

Buy boots from a boot company and let Snap-On stick to the shiny stuff. They're probably overpriced anyway.

I prefer Timberland Pros, but I've heard good things about USA-made Red Wings and Doc Marten Industrial boots (the Industrial line is supposedly still made in the UK)

BigRed390

For that price, you're close to a real pair of made in USA boots from half a dozen companies. I'm partial to Danner's. Just my $.02

*disclaimer - I do not own any Snap On tools, so I have nothing for or against them. I do appreciate good boots though. :beer:

chadster1

The Snap-on boots are made by Coastal Boot company. I have never sold them. I drive a tool truck, not a boot truck.

OP
shotgunfatcat

shotgunfatcat

I just was wondering, they seemed like a nice style boot and I need something a bit nice looking. I am actaully looking into red wings, carhartts, or timberlands, but thought I would get opinions on the snap-on boots, as I have no one to ask elsewhere.

My cousin just bought a pair of Timberlands, he loves them so far (only been about a month).

My dad gets 20% off of boots thru work, so I was going to go that route. But the boot truck only comes around every so often and he is on leave because of a surgery. So it is going to be a while.

I have a pair of Caterpillars right now, they are actually really good boots, but are starting to take a toll, and I need something a bit more appealing for my job, unfortunately. They get quite cold in winter as well.

chadster1

Carhartt is a Division of Red Wing Shoe - Long time leader in work boots and other footwear.

Looks like you are right!

Red Wing, like a lot of other makers has moved some of thier production to other countries. Your best bet to find a boot that is right for your foot is to go someplace where you can try them on. If you want to order boots online, try www.zappos.com . The last time I ordered from them, they offered free return shipping for any reason if you are not happy with your purchase.

(I sold steel toed boots for 9 years off of a boot truck before I started selling tools)

OP
shotgunfatcat

shotgunfatcat

Red Wing, like a lot of other makers has moved some of thier production to other countries. Your best bet to find a boot that is right for your foot is to go someplace where you can try them on. If you want to order boots online, try www.zappos.com . The last time I ordered from them, they offered free return shipping for any reason if you are not happy with your purchase.

(I sold steel toed boots for 9 years off of a boot truck before I started selling tools)

Thanks Chadster, there is nothing like trying on a pair of boots. That is pretty sweet on the free return though. I did notice on Red wings website that most of the stuff was made in china, some of the stuff was made here with imported material, and a few things were just made here. It makes you wonder what would happen if china got so pissed off they started an exporting freeze, we would be screwed.

chadster1

It makes you wonder what would happen if china got so pissed off they started an exporting freeze, we would be screwed.

They are already starting to limit exports on rare earth metals. They currently control approximately 97% of the worlds production of these essential elements.

OP
shotgunfatcat

shotgunfatcat

They are already starting to limit exports on rare earth metals. They currently control approximately 97% of the worlds production of these essential elements.

I read an article on that, actually one of the minerals was something we use in batteries for the eco-friendly cars. And the lack of the mineral is creating slow engineering on lighter batteries, or something like that. It might had to do with magnets as well.

mkdive

I have never heard of a boot truck.
1.gif

But I do love the hell out of the gourmet food trucks around here!

gReves

I just was wondering, they seemed like a nice style boot and I need something a bit nice looking. I am actaully looking into red wings, carhartts, or timberlands, but thought I would get opinions on the snap-on boots, as I have no one to ask elsewhere.

My cousin just bought a pair of Timberlands, he loves them so far (only been about a month).

My dad gets 20% off of boots thru work, so I was going to go that route. But the boot truck only comes around every so often and he is on leave because of a surgery. So it is going to be a while.

I have a pair of Caterpillars right now, they are actually really good boots, but are starting to take a toll, and I need something a bit more appealing for my job, unfortunately. They get quite cold in winter as well.

Try a pair of Rocky's Iron Clad's if you havent'. The last pair lasted me 4 or 5 years. I replaced them with the exact same boot and 2 years later, still like new.

tonydanzah

They are out there. You will see them at large manufacturing facilities, steel mills, distribution centers and military bases. Mainly places that require the personnel to wear a steel toed work boot.

now that you say that i vaguely remember being at one of my accounts and hearing employees talking about the free boot day. I guess that is what they were talking about. But I did not realize it was a set up like snap on, i just figured it was part of cintas or something.

mkdive

Roach Coach? Best burritos a man could eat.

Far from it (the standard roach coach or short order trucks). They have a ton of these Gourmet food trucks running around Socal in the last year or so. Freaking amazing food...and cheap! They organize 30+ trucks meeting up. Its great, you can score a ton of really good food for $20. Each truck seems to specialize in a different kind of food. Its truthfully better food than a lot $$$ restaurants I have been to. :thumbup:

Sorry to get OT....close to lunch time in these parts and my stomach is taking control of my brain right about now. :lol_hitti

t100

couple years ago I had to buy a pair of steel toe. either a $200 pair of USA Red Wing, or $50 pair of Chinese. no way I would pay for $100 chinese, though.

I bought DieHard boots from Sears then a pair of insole from Red Wing. 2 and half years later they are still good.

bad_religion_au

+2 on redbacks, i bought a pair when i hit 16 for general outdoors stuff, they have seen 11 years of summer landscape work, plenty of wrenching time, and 4 years full time factory/warehouse work. soles are pretty thin now...

welderwink

I think catepillar boots are made by wolverine. But dont quote me on that. I have 3 pairs of red wings, one pair is about 4-5 years old, with the original laces. Now my 8 month old pair (that are metatarsals) have gone thru about 8 sets of laces.

mrshaun

there is a red wing truck that visits this area. they are out of a small shop in a little town so the prices are through the roof.
a few shops buy 1 pair of boots a year for the techs.

chadster1

there is a red wing truck that visits this area. they are out of a small shop in a little town so the prices are through the roof.
a few shops buy 1 pair of boots a year for the techs.

Fort Hood buys a lot of the civilian employees 2 pair per year. At least they used to when I was selling boots down there.

Top Bottom