To avoid these ads, REGISTER NOW!

What new garage door do you recommend?

djtjak

I am looking at a new garage door for my home and there are so many options and brands it is getting me confused.
My door is for a two car garage and measures 16' x 7', and is not attached to the house.
I want it to have thermo pane double windows across the top and be insulated to about r18.
I use my garage at a hobby woodshop with electric heat, I spend 4-5 hours per day in there.

What door would you recommend ?
Should I put "green hinges" on it?
Thanks
Dennis

Last edited:

nadogail

Without a location, I am not confident in my ability to make an intelligent recommendation.

Perhaps you should talk with several local, to you, suppliers.

lml999

Check out Haas doors.

I'm replacing two 25 year old garage doors and after checking out Haas and the others, I placed an order for 2" steel insulated Haas doors three weeks ago. They seem to offer the best value and quality. I went with the 2" over the 1 3/4" due to the extra sealing between panels and slightly higher R value.

(I'm in New England)

After my initial research I was planning on going with C.H.I., but my local retailer suggested that Haas makes a better door (and he carries both). He also strongly advised against adding windows, as they add a lot of expense and aren't particularly well insulated. Nobody else in my neighborhood has windows, so it was an easy choice.

Note - I was quoted a six week delivery due to (pandemic-related) supply chain issues. I'm glad that this wasn't an emergency replacement of a broken door...

humpty

I have very little experience with Haas but I understand them to be overbuilt and sturdy doors.

On my garage project this fall/winter I went with a Clopay Classic Premium door. We chose the 2" fully insulated door and so far I am impressed with the features of the door. It seems like a very well thought out residential door.

humpty

PLOWJEEP

Find the most reputable installer and go with what he sells. Don’t be afraid to spend a few hundred dollars more for their best door. The pay back on garage doors quickly turns into pennies a day.

Showkey

"MEMBER EMERITUS"
Top 19 Best Garage Door Brands – Garage Door Manufacturer Reviews

https://www.wcmanet.org/best-garage-door-brands/

Then every manufacturer has builder/budget, good, better, best. So price and quality are really linked.
After that it comes to local installers for their price and quality install.

I have 4 Clopay insulated, fiberglass wood look over steel they have been trouble free.
Have had a few insulated Daltons and they were also very good.

You may find longer waits for certain brands and configurations........neighbor has been waiting months for 12’ door.

Last edited:

zmotorsports

ALLIANCE MEMBER
I installed Amarr when I built my new shop back in 2017. They were a little more pricey than what I expected but so far I am very pleased with them. My contractor recommended them as they had good luck with them. I had no previous experience with them but so far I have been very pleased. Still very quiet operating and they are well insulated.

foodie

I purchased Hormann garage doors from a recommendation from one of the great GJ members here. I have not been disappointed. Great insulation in the summer and winter, very sturdy and thick.

Stuart in MN

I got mine from the Overhead Door Company, but check to see what brands are supplied in your area - I don't think a garage door is something you want to buy mail order.

Top Bottom