Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road > Offroad Nitro Engine Forum
OS vs Reds vs Alpha Nitro Engines >

OS vs Reds vs Alpha Nitro Engines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

OS vs Reds vs Alpha Nitro Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2023, 11:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking OS vs Reds vs Alpha Nitro Engines

My reason for this thread is to see what everyone recommends between these 3 engine manufacturers.
Mainly want opinions from those that have driven these themselves and maybe compared the brands first hand. Please don't be biased just because "this pro runs this" or "I've driven only this for 30 years so it's all that can be good" lol

Please share some honest tried/true opinions on which engines would be the best between these 3 for most durable/reliable/amazing power/fuel efficiency/ease of tune-ability. And based off of their current offerings.

The main ones I'm curious about would be current leading models. These are what my choices would be between:
  • OS Speed: AD3, RD2
  • Reds: 723 Truggy Gen3 Pro(for truggy), 721 Superveloce Gen3 Pro, 721 Scuderia Gen3 Pro
  • Alpha: Dragon V .21
Thanks! Please honest/serious opinions only and no fighting over your recommendations.
  • These would be used for both 1/8 buggy and truggy racing(mainly outdoor). Some input on my tracks. I drive on more aggressive tracks with typically a decent amount of small bumps and chatter, as well as very large jumps/features. And a combo of long straights and tighter sections. Essentially I'm looking for the most durable/reliable engine with amazing power and easy tuning/holds a tune well, and good fuel efficiency.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the OS and Reds flagship motors are great as far as quality and power go, both are easy to tune with 3 needle carbs etc and cant really go wrong with either in that regard.

I do prefer OS over Reds simply because of Adam Drake and how involved he is in the hobby. his support, services, and information helps tremendously.
Spaceracer likes this.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:45 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have both the AD3 and RD2, they are exactly the same engine, the only difference is the head and the carb venturi's being in different colours.

I purchased them for the ease of tuning. There is a ton of video's on how to tune an OS, and alot of others at the track know their way around an OS.
Spaceracer likes this.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Power wise,ad3 and reds. But reds is harder to tune than an OS. Alphas are ok,just replace the rods, which are cheap compared to the others. I’m all about the FX engines, but it doesn’t have the crazy power of the os and reds… for price and quality, you just can’t beat the FX,only the xray and Nemo racing drivers recognize these great ingines,made in Europe
Spaceracer likes this.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
Power wise,ad3 and reds. But reds is harder to tune than an OS. Alphas are ok,just replace the rods, which are cheap compared to the others. I’m all about the FX engines, but it doesn’t have the crazy power of the os and reds… for price and quality, you just can’t beat the FX,only the xray and Nemo racing drivers recognize these great ingines,made in Europe
FX engines are garbage and not that cheap. I had one and no at my track could tune it. Gave up and bought an OS no issues since the switch. Also you can get an OS cheaper than an FX if you know how to use the internet. Secondly, Drake is awesome to deal with and has always answered my questions. Good luck getting that kind of support with an FX.
Old 11-15-2023, 08:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Narrowing down now. Reds Vs OS

Thanks for all of the input so far!
For me right now I am majorly leaning towards/deciding between OS and Reds.
Alpha would be cool for the fact that I can find them very cheap. But I’d be able to get Reds and OS for a good price as well.
I typically would normally go with OS because I know they work great and Adam Drake is pretty awesome and local. So that alone having him nearby for pinches, servicing or tips is always nice.
Reds just has always intrigued me and their new engines are supposed to be wicked fast. So getting them for the same price makes it a tough decision.
I would definitely be up for any input from anyone that has used Reds and OS recently. What typically makes the Reds harder to tune? Which is truly stronger/faster? Is one more reliable? More fuel efficient?

thanks!
Old 11-16-2023, 04:08 AM
Tech Elite

Reds make them harder to tune because of the carb, if you’re good, it can run fine. The carb that comes on the ad3 or the protek RM version,are pretty easy to set and hold a tune. Some os versions can be harder to tune. Te 21j carb is what you’re looking for. If you’re a thunder alley local, yea even Ronda knows how to tune. But read the reds thread and see for yourself. In all honesty, Adam will help you tune any engine brand , he’s that type of guy, same with lutz.
petersen114 and Spaceracer like this.

Last edited by hairymuffin; 11-16-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

As of right now I will only buy FX or OS. I would like to try a Reds premium motor. I tried the 5 port sport and had no luck. I could make it run good. But not reliably. I have seen others with high end Reds motors and they flat out scream.
The OS are by far the easiest to tune , this includes beginners. I feel the FX are now the same. I had know some that had problems with the older FX. I bought one of the Bullit/FX based motors and it has been excellent.
hairymuffin and Spaceracer like this.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Mickey_B
FX engines are garbage and not that cheap. I had one and no at my track could tune it. Gave up and bought an OS no issues since the switch. Also you can get an OS cheaper than an FX if you know how to use the internet. Secondly, Drake is awesome to deal with and has always answered my questions. Good luck getting that kind of support with an FX.
my reference was towards the Bullit/fx,with you being in Texas you’d see a lot of these engines from the Nemo/xray guys I’m sure. A bad running engine can happen to all brands
Old 11-20-2023, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Honestly

OS Alpha Reds in that order.
I had to swap to an Alpha Dragon carb on my Reds Scuderia G2 to wake it up and get it to tune right. It is night and day difference but you'd have never had that problem with OS or Alpha to begin with.
Alphas are GREAT engines for the price.
Spaceracer likes this.
Old 11-24-2023, 09:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Have you considered NOVA?
Old 11-26-2023, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Bot alert
Old 11-26-2023, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Our team has been racing for decades now. For 2023, we made the switch to Alpha in our 1/8 nitro buggy and will never look back. They just work well
for us. Customer service from Ryan Lutz is outstanding. Good luck in your racing!
petersen114 and Spaceracer like this.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by robracing
Our team has been racing for decades now. For 2023, we made the switch to Alpha in our 1/8 nitro buggy and will never look back. They just work well
for us. Customer service from Ryan Lutz is outstanding. Good luck in your racing!
Thanks for that feedback! Ya I’ve been all over the place with engines lately. Alpha definitely seems like they’d be pretty great, especially for the price. I think the biggest part that would keep me from just getting the Alpha is so many people know how to work on OS, so if there’s something I don’t personally know myself, someone else most likely would with an OS. At least that’s my thinking.
I’d still love to try an Alpha though sooner or later, for now I’m on a used AD3.
have you by chance tried the Alpha Dragon on truggy? I’m curious how the AD3 and Alpha Dragon would stack up against each other for truggy on tracks with large features.
Old 12-01-2023, 11:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kruzracing169
Have you considered NOVA?
I have considered Nova, especially the pricing AMain had them at recently plus the Wiggins coupon on top of that. But don’t know many around here that run it yet, other than one local pro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.