The future of Milan Arsenal

DeerCamp

I knew the hunts last year were cancelled. It appears this is part of the permanent closure of the entire milan arsenal facility.

Here is the environmental report on the impacts of the closure. In total, it is over 22,000 acres.

From the report:
Future Use. Future use of the MLAAP land is uncertain. Some entities have expressed interest in portions of the property. The Tennessee Army National Guard (TNARNG) is interested in at least a portion of the property. The TNARNG plans to construct a wastewater force main from their Volunteer Training Site- (VTS-) Milan and the TNARNG Reserve Center, located on U.S. Highway 45E, to the Milan Department of Public Utilities (MPU). The force main will transverse approximately 5 miles of MLAAP property and TNARNG has obtained an easement to cross the property. The City of Milan is interested in property adjacent to the city boundary. The University of Tennessee has expressed an Environmental Assessment for Closure and Disposal of Milan Army Ammunition Plant Milan Army Ammunition Plant, TN May 2021 2-2 interest in a portion of the property for agricultural uses. And the Tennessee Valley Authority is interested in some of the property to construct and operate a solar energy facility.

Remington700

I thought they closed down all hunting there. I did see some kills on the harvest data. I believe a large portion was given to the National Guard. I know the city is wanting to get a portion and make neighborhoods and an industrial park. Like all things government it will be a slow process.

buckbstr_1

This was a wonderful place for the employees to take their families hunting. Lots of fun back in the 90s... I sure hate to see it go also..

DeerCamp

I have heard there was recently discussion on TWRA quota hunts there.
Just looking at google maps, there is over 20 miles of fencing. It would cost an astounding amount of money to remove them.

I know it could be controversial, but this could be a new "President's Island" if they were to manage the area inside the fence for QDM.

It's probably more likely the former "public" areas would be considered for quota hunts.

If it doesn't get hunted for a couple years, it will be a hell of a first hunt when it reopens.

Latest posts